- QQI Level 5 Award Award in 5M3789 or 5M210
- Students may take a one year course leading to a Level 5 Award or a two year course leading to a QQI Level 6 Award
This course provides students with the skills and knowledge relating to legal practice required to embark on a career in the legal sector.
Students will study at least eight subjects in this full time one year such as Legal Practice and Procedures, Applied Economics, Criminal Law and Business Law.
Students who take this course aim to progress to study a law degree or a business and law degree at third level in DCU, UCD, NUI Maynooth or in TU Dublin (DIT) Work placement in the course involves working in a solicitor’s practice or legal research to provide students with valuable experience in preparation for a prospective career in law or a law related area.
- Course Requirements
- All applicants should have Leaving Certificate or equivalent.
- Mature applicants welcome.
- All applicants whose first language is not English will be tested at entry.
- All applicants will be interviewed.
- Course Modules
- Business Law
- Legal Practice and Procedures
- Applied Economics
- Business Administration Skills
- Accounting Manual & Computerised
- Word Processing
- Spreadsheet Methods
- Work Experience
- Statistics (Optional)
Students can be entered for one of the following QQI Level 5 Awards:
- 5M3789 Legal Studies
- 5M2102 Business
- Work Experience
Work Experience is an essential part of the programme and gives the learner the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired on the course.
- Further / Higher Education Links
On successful completion of a QQI Level 5 course students have the opportunity to progress within Rathmines College to:
- QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985;
- QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business – Legal 6M4985;
- Our Professional Accounting Department where they may choose from a range of ACCA and ATI Professional Accounting courses.
Students who achieve the required results in their level 6 award will have the opportunity to apply for advanced entry to a number of Higher Education colleges including DIT, NCI, ITB and ITT. QQI Level 5 award holders may also apply to a wide variety of Higher Education colleges through the CAO system. Click here to see current links from our QQI business awards to Higher Education courses in the Dublin area. See the CAO website and the websites of the relevant higher education institutions for more information. Please note that some higher education courses have specific results and subjects requirements.
- Career Opportunities
Students who successfully complete this course are equipped to seek employment in a range of Business, Administration and Legal environments.