- QQI Level 5 5M3114
- One year full time
This course aims to provide opportunities for school leavers to gain access to Arts, Social Science & Humanities degree programmes at Universities and I.T.s. It will provide a second chance for many school leavers who aspire to Third Level. This course is confined to school leavers. Similar programmes within CDETB are offered to non-school leavers.
The course provides an introduction to writing skills, research studies and gives a foundation in the academic subjects in preparation for third level.
Please note: some courses may involve remote teaching next year depending on Covid and the instruction from the HSE.
Testimonial: My experience in the Liberal Arts course in Rathmines College was truly incredible, not only did it allow me to gather skills that have helped me immensely in my Arts degree in Trinity College, but also gave me the opportunity to learn from the hugely helpful and passionate lecturers that teach in Rathmines. The lecturers helped to instil confidence in my academic ability which I have carried into my degree and has been essential to my progress in third level. Chloe Fetherston (Liberal Arts 2017-18)
- Course Requirements
Students applying for this course should have passed the Leaving Certificate in five subjects, to include English.
- Students must be under 23 years of age on 1st September of the year of course commencement.
- All applicants whose first language is not English will be tested at entry.
- All applicants will be interviewed.
- Course Modules
Students will be offered a programme from the following minor awards:
- Research and Study Skills
- English Literature
- Applied Psychology
- Social Studies
- Personal and Professional Development
- Word Processing
Students also choose one of the following three minors:
- Applied Economics
- Media Analysis
QQI Level 5 5M3114
- Education Progression
QQI Level 5 Award holders are eligible to apply to a wide variety of Higher Education colleges (see www.cao.ie and www.qqi.ie) including UCD, NUI Maynooth and St Patrick's College who have reserved places to Arts and Humanities Degree Programmes.
- UCD DN500 (Arts) 25 reserved QQI places
- NUI Maynooth MH101 (Arts) 25 reserved QQI places
- St Patrick's College Drumcondra PD103 (Arts, Humanities) 5 reserved QQI places
- DCU (Contemporary culture and society) 50 places on course
Practical assessment and written examinations
- Course Charges
Contact the college